Thursday, April 23, 2009

How Blacktress Got Her Groove Back

Whew, being at home for a week and doing nothing has really wiped me out. I mean, it's hard making a Qantum Leap, being socially awkward around people you haven't seen in 6 months, and trying not to throttle a mother who loves to butt into your life but seemed to have no interest in filing your taxes or at least filing for an extension on your behalf.

So I'm off to the St. Croix, in the US Virgin Islands, to visit my boo, KWalsh. We've been friends since uni, and I've waited 7 long years for this friendship to pay off in a trip to her island home. Finally I get to walk on sandy beaches, drink rum punch with an umbrella in it, and possibly mate with an angry young native boy.

You know, like Angela Bassett did.




Blacktress Fun Fact: I think this is quite fitting because, at the age of 12, I auditioned for a role in the above film. No, not as Stella, but as her sassy niece who she takes with her on one of her island getaways. One of the lines from the screentest: "What, auntie Stella? [she says coyly] I didn't do nothin'."

I was playing a 12-year-old when I was actually 12, but due to my height and boobage, I was told looked too old for the part--but trust me, I had the sass down pat.

So now, as I head off to JFK for my island week, I hope to get my groove like Stella and the Emperor* combined.


*You're never too old for a Disney reference. Besides, after that hobbit photo, I've got nothing to lose.

1 comment:

JJS III said...

I tried to explain The Emperor's New Groove to K and how it's actually amazing. He did not understand, and it didn't help to state that David Spade was the voice of the Emperor.

Also, you may have told me this in the past, but I probably forgot. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU AUDITIONED FOR THAT MOVIE. That is so amazing, and somehow more exciting than if you had actually been in the movie.