Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sojourner Truth - THE MUSICAL!!!

Last night, I received the best news ever.

A musical is being made about my life.
It's like Black History Month 2010 was made for me.
In the footsteps of such heavyweights as Ray, Ali, and every Spike Lee Joint ever made, comes a musical story of truth, justice, and African-American way.

For those who can't bear to follow a link and be taken away from this page, here's the run-down:

Old Deerfield Productions and Jane Hanson Productions LLC will create and mount a new opera, working title Truth, to be offered in a workshop in July of 2011 at the Reid Theatre in Deerfield followed by a full-scale production with orchestra at the Academy of Music Theatre in Northampton, MA in October of 2011.
Truth will follow the trajectory of Sojourner’s life beginning in 1826, when she walked toward freedom with her baby, Sophie, on her back.

Through the story of this important black woman’s quest for freedom and equal rights, the opera will illuminate America’s complicated march toward the same goal, a march that continues in Sojourner’s footsteps today.


I won't keep going, because it's boring to hear the story of my own life told to me, but you get the picture!!

It's a Sojourner Truth musical--I think I'll call it a TRUTH-ical.
(Not to be confused with Seussical! the musical)

Can you handle this awesomeness?!

Alas, they've already tapped another blacktress for my role--I guess they needed some distance, didn't want me breathing down their necks with my own truth. You can't take "artistic license" when you've got the real Sojo on set!

I think I'll start a petition requesting that I play the role of young Sojo - or at least recite the "Ain't I A Woman?" speech. After all, I penned that jam.

OK, I just wanted to share the good news, gang. Donate some money if you can--every little bit helps, and the TRUTH is priceless!

xoxo,
Blacktress

2 comments:

The Shitty Astrologer said...

They probably bumped you for the wildly popular Halle Berry (bummer), but you could always haunt the set as an extra - not literally of course...

JJS III said...

Ugh, how could they cast another Blacktress? This will be like Life Is Not A Fairytale without Fantasia Barrino playing Fantasia Barrino. ULTIMATE FAIL.