Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Pulling the IncogNEGRO Out of the Shadows....

Hey guys,

I had a grande coffee this morning, so I'm feeling productive without a sense of impending doom or heart palpitations, which is pretty awesome.

So, I was thinking about what to write for today's post. We all know Black History Month is a time to honor the achievements of black folks in the US. I mean, okay, we've got two BLACKTRESS nominated for the Oscars this year, and PRECIOUS is nominated for best film. However, Sojourner would like to aid in the bringing of TRUTH this BHM by profiling less-known Af-Ams who have brought so much to the world, but who don’t get much coverage nowadays.


I call this segment…. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Negroes

In my search, I came across the following man, who works within my theme in many ways.


Master Lloyd Irvin is a world-renowned martial arts coach, competitor and martial arts Expert.

“Um, okay Sojo,” you may be saying to yourself. “What makes that so special???”

Well, gentle reader, Master Lloyd was the first African American in the World to receive a Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

HOLY GUACAMOLE!!!! Look at Master Lloyd, locking it down for black folks everywhere.

Speaking, of “locking it down,” Master Lloyd is one of only a handful of instructors on the entire east coast that can proficiently perform leg locks. Three-time Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Champion Fabio Gurgel calls Master Lloyd "THE KING OF LEGLOCKS.”

THE KING OF LEGLOCKS, GUYS!!!!

I’m not even sure what a leglock is, but it sounds difficult and deadly, and I’m totes impressed (and kind of turned on… )

I love this shot of Lloyd, chillin' on the beach with a tucked in t-shirt and a coconut.
Jui-jitsu masters--they're just like us!!!



So, ladies, next time you’re doing your Kegel exercises, think of Lloyd. You have him to thank.

1 comment:

JJS III said...

Anyone who's the "King of ____" is a winner in my book. Unless they're the King of Failure, that is...