Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Family Matters....Or Does It?

Hey guys, quick Q:
Is it possible to have a Boone's Farm hangover, or could it be I just feel really ashamed of myself?

I write to you now from Detroit, Michigan--aka The City That God Forgot. I'm celebrating the 93rd birthday of my dear grandmother, and couldn't be less annoyed by it.
I know, I know, I'm going to hell.

Hey guys, one more Q: Have you ever shared a bed with someone going through menopause? Well, I have. Cause my uncle's also here, my mom and I are sharing a bed, and home girl is having hot flashes like whoa. So, you know, random thrashing about, turning on and off the fan, and stripping are the course for the night. Hence my bright-and-early bloggery before 10am.

Sunday the whole fam gathered to celebrate, and the awkwardness set in. Although I used to spend every summer in Detroit until I was about 13, I don't feel remotely close to my family at all. Perhaps it's because they teased me for 'talking white' or because my cousin would ask me incredulously how I could 'like a White boy.' Or maybe it's because they teased me for being so dark-skinned and said my toes looked like roaches (they don't). Being an only child, I wasn't used to such teasing and never found it particularly pleasant or manageable. And the fact that these things are still brought up over 10 years later causes me to bristle.

One of my cousins is a year older than me and graduated college about a year ago--which is a hot mess. He actually just self-published a book that would fall under the category of 'urban fiction.' In the first paragraph, we follow our protagonist as he awakes from dreams of being violated by his stepfather. It's hardcore.

Anyway, he'd mellowed out since I'd seen him last, and was talking with his sister about her latest 'man friends.' My cousin says she doesn't have a boyfriend, just 'various dudes I kick it with.' I don't think this means she's bending it like Beckham, though. Her broface got pretty annoyed and made everyone be silent as he imparted the following words of wisdom:

"Men cannot be friends with a woman," he yelled, slamming his can of soda--oops, I mean pop--on the table for emphasis. "If you are not willing to be intimate with a man, you need to leave him alone. Or hook him up with one of your girls who would like to be intimate. If you can't do that, you need to cook him some food. There has to be a physical need met by your presence, or you are useless."
Is he right? What do you think?


I was two seconds away from thinking he was an idiot savant when I heard him offer this next pearl of advice:

"Nah, nah, for real dog--If you need work done in yo' house, you gotta get one of them good, high-functionin' crackheads, who used to be an engineer or some shit. My boy Young Ju got all his Ikea furniture put together by John who live down the street for, like, 20 dollas. And cracky did that shit in about an hour."

Think there's any way I can move up my return flight?

6 comments:

JJS III said...

And I thought it was bad when my uncle asked me if I came out yet at my cousin's funeral...

I'd ask you how you can sit there and be silent, but I've been there so many times. So many.

The Runaway Diaries said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean! When I was a kid my supposed best friends would always tell me I talk too "proper" and that I wanted to be white. The sad thing is that I wasn't doing it on purpose. Also, my mother and sister tell me that I think, "White is right" because I date white men (among others). They ignore the men of color I HAVE dated...it's like one white boy and all the sudden I am a sell out. That whole outlook comes from a place of ignorance and fear. Don't let them bring you down, you know who you are...

Scribe said...

a high functioning crackhead is hard to find. so if u find 1, use that dude n lemme kno bout it, i got some furniture that needs to be put together for 20 bucks! their ur fam girl, u can always sell them out like julia alvarez did, she got 2 novels out of it! n tell ur granny HAPPY BIRTHDAY! u got good genes gurl, u kno the Blak diseases be after us once we hit 40.

Unknown said...

this post...this post is AMAZING. my stories about my family living on a religious commune in missouri is NOTHING compared to this.

Fashion_Loving_Stylist said...

Oh you poor thing. Unfortunately I so feel your pain.

Acacia said...

omg! that is cray. i want to slap the shit out of your self-publishing, female-objectifying cousin! though his advice about crackheads might be sound.