Monday, February 16, 2009

The Boob Tube

Oh my god, just when I thought Australian TV was crap, it goes and surprises me like nothing else.

I'm at home now, trying to take my mind off the fact that Mr. Weasley has yet to respond to an email I sent three full days ago. I'm trying to silence the voices in my head that say, "see, this is why you'll die alone"-- which involves watching television.

Now, I'm normally a "Neighhbours" girl. I mean, it featured Natalie Imbruglia AND Kylie, for goodness sake--anyone who's anyone in Australia has been on this show. "Home and Away" is the other big soap, and it's based in Sydney, while "Neighbours" is based in Melbourne." The rivalry is very East Coast/West Coast rap.
Hardcore in every way.
I made a call early on, when I first saw "Neighbours" in England, and my allegiance has been unwavering.
Until now.

I was just watching the last few minutes of "Home and Away," as I waited for 'How I Met Your Mother'. I don't know what happened beforehand, but all the teens were in a tizzy over some list that some bitchy blonde girl wrote. Apparently, she wrote who was cute and who was not, which you know had everyone all upset. I don't know the characters names, but you know, pretty white kids with problems, no real difference. Basically, the bitchy blonde girl wrote that another bitchy blonde girl, "thinks she's hot." So BBG #2 went up to her and was like, "How could you say that about me?"
BBG #1 is all, "What do you mean?"
BBG #2 says, "I don't think I'm hot," all angry-like.
Then, in a total unforeseen turn, BBG #1 goes, "You don't? Well I do."
THEN GRABS THE GIRL AND KISSES HER!!!!

HOLLA AT TEEN LESBIAN KISSES BEFORE PRIMETIME!!

Guys, it was so amazing. Okay, to be fair, they totally cut away after she pulled her in, then showed the end of the kiss in a long shot, but still! It wasn't even 7:30pm. Tweens and teens were awake, and probably sitting down to dinner with "Hom(o) and Away" in the background! Why is Australia so cool? Is this almost as good as Degrassi?! I can't recall teen lesbian kisses on basic cable on the Northern Hemi. Can anyone jog my memory?

It almost makes me want to not leave, but then I remember I'm bored.

4 comments:

JJS III said...

OH SHIT.

You haven't heard? Bianca married or soon will marry her lesbian boo on "All My Children". Her lesbian plotline has been going on for AGES, but I'm not sure how many kisses were involved.

How did the other girl react to this kiss? Was she into it? I'm curious because there actually was a recent episode of Degrassi where this closeted gay football player makes out with his new friend, but his friend is all like, "I'm not gay". Unlike Paige, he actually isn't in any way. Long story short, the jock kid presses him against a wall and demands that he tells no one. I believe defensive hate speech is also involved. The next episode involves steroids, and I believe the straight (former) friend could be heard saying in the previews, "Did steroids make you STRAIGHT?" IT GOES THERE.

Oh, there was also a big gay moment on another American soap. The token gay couple FINALLY did it. I don't think they showed much, but there was plenty of implied boy-on-boy action.

Either way, this lesbian action sounds awesome because it seems to make NO sense.

Anonymous said...

you really missed the best Australian viewing last night, "ladette to lady". i shit you not i crawled under a table and wished Australians were banned from travelling. The only thing that would have saved this was UK immigration sending these nutters home on the next flight. Although the talk over the water cooler this morning by the desperate geeks was where are these girls and how can i use their low self esteem to my advantage.

The Runaway Diaries said...

I love Degrassi!

Saturday said...

I love Degrassi. And this tiny bit of aussie lezzyness makes me want subscribe to this show. Haha. Paige and Alex were awesome.

Yeah there's want to be gay storyline with the football player on degrassi. But I miss the lezzy action. Its always so much more interesting. Haha.