Sunday, August 10, 2008

Think About It...

I have a lot to share about this past weekend, but my ability to engage in fun bloggery is hampered by the fact that, in addition to meeting randoms and wishing I was 50 years old, the black community--no, not just the black community, but the WORLD--has lost two great blacktors.

On Saturday morning, blacktor/comedian Bernie Mac died of pneumonia.

This morning (Sunday), blacktor/songwriter/singer Isaac Hayes was pronounced dead at a hospital in Memphis.

"Sojourner, shut yo' mouth!" you may say with disbelief.
"I'm just talking about Isaac Hayes and Bernie Mac," would be my response. (You know, in the style of the song)

Yes, Isaac Hayes-- best known for the theme song to Shaft, and later as Chef on South Park-- was only 65 years young.

Black visionaries are dropping like flies.

OMG, this just in (from three days ago): blacktor Morgan Freeman (freeman)was in a car accident on August 4. Luckily, he's doing okay after surgery on his arm. I knew Morgan would pull through--the man has a bucket list--you can't kill him!

What is happening to these men? Do you think THE MAN (you know the one I mean) is trying to send Barack a message? He's getting too big for his black britches, and they have to let him know they could end him?

Oh, Sojourner and her conspiracy theories.

But it seems I'm not alone. Check out this piece of spam that came to my work email this morning:

Yesterday, it was Bernie Mac. Today it was Isaac Hayes. Could Samuel Jackson be next?

Daryl Toor, president of Attention!, an Atlanta based publicity firm, a former music reviewer and record company executive notes:

"This photograph, taken from Isaac Hayes' official site at http://www.isaachayes.com/myframes.html is as eerie as the time I read a newspaper obituary on its own obituary writer…."

D. Toor
CEO & Chief Awareness Officer
dtoor@attentiongroup.com


Daryl Toor is searching for the TRUTH!

But, seriously-- think about it... Here's some help from Flight of the Conchords. They know what's up.

3 comments:

JJS III said...

My sister told me about Isaac Hayes this morning. She also told me about Bernie Mac, even though I had read that he was recovering.

There can only be one possible explanation for all of this...

My sister is on a killing spree of black comedians.

Hide Samuel L. Jackson immediately.

Miso Soup said...

I was really sad and shocked to find out about their deaths as well. And it's not just them, but in the past two years we have lost a lot of great artistic visionaries: Gordon Parks, Barry White, Ossie Davis, James Brown, Luther Vandross, even Gerald Levert(yeah I said it!). It makes you ask what the hell is going on in the world? The conspiracy theories will begin anew...

Or, is it time for Black people to reevaluate the soul food we love to eat all the time, and just pay more attention to our health? Especially Black men...

The Dainty Deb said...

If something happens to Morgan Freeman, I'll personally go on a killing spree.