Saturday, September 15, 2007

I Wish I Was Still Writing Film Papers

Have you seen that movie "Village of the Damned"? It is a remake of a 1960s film made in 1995, and stars Kirstie Alley and Christopher Reeve. It's about this small town that suffers from a blackout, after which all the women in the town simultaneously become pregnant with alien spawn.

Yeah, I know, it's pretty great.

Clearly, people know something's awry when everyone gets pregnant on the same day. And, as one woman eerily notes, "The Roberts' girl was a virgin."

Dun-dun-dun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (is that how you write scary music?)

In the town meeting-- yes, in 1995 there were still towns small enough to hold meetings-- Kirstie (who plays a doctor-- hahah, I thought she owned a bar!) says that the government wants to study them and is offering to give each woman $3,000 a month if she carries her child to term.

I find this film to be a period piece, with it's quaint, small-town setting, and Kirstie's shoulder pads. See below:



Anyway, I think what I love about this movie is that the alien babies are all Aryan visions of wonder, almost to the point of being Albino terrors. Even the Asian woman's baby comes out looking like Hitler's wet dream. Clearly, this should have been the first sign that these children were up to no good.

But, as you know, if it's white, it's right, so it took a lot of violent acts for the parents to realize that the kids were evil monsters sent from a far off planet to take over earth. It wasn't until they did this:
that it was too late for the townspeople of Midwich.

These kids used to appear to me in my nightmares.

What I noticed this time around is that the first two people to be killed in this film were Asian women. I wonder what John Carpenter is trying to say here. Does he hate Asians?!


I think so.

3 comments:

Katie Walsh said...

We both have Baby Satan on the brain.

Liz T. said...

He hates Asians worse than that guy from stand-up. (Whom I at first totally thought was Asian.)

Katey said...

I sometimes I wish I were still writing film papers too, even though that's basically my job, and I procrastinate on that too. So maybe I wish Jeanine were giving me feedback instead of the internet at large?