Monday, August 15, 2011

Love/Sad

Happy Monday, guys! I love when "Mondays With Artists" just happens naturally. My boss handed me a letter from a reader, and this post basically writes itself! It's an excellent example of our target audience: handwritten in shaky cursive and and somewhat confrontational while also being self-promoting. As always, the grammar and spelling has been transcribed exactly as it appears in the original.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe 80% or more people you have sent this same letter to will probably die before our prescription expires.
[By "prescription," she means "subscription." This is a common mistake among our audience.]
I am 90 years old. I'm probably the youngest 90 year old person you'll ever know or meet. Still I might die tomorrow, I don't have much time left. or next week or next month or next year. However, I'm a great inspiration to many people. I'm still going strong. If you don't believe me--look me up on inter-net. I'm all over the place!
[This is the most confident/depressing paragraph I've ever read.]
If you are interested I will do a story on myself. It will make good reading. People can find out what makes me "tick."
[Um, what makes her "tick"? Like Ke$ha?]
To be an artist you don't have to be an actor, writer, or musician--just a desire.
[I mean, I guess technically she's not wrong there. You don't have to be a singer to be a painter!]
I've been teaching since 1970--and I still do.

Please don't send me anymore bills until my subscription bill is due.

Sincerely,

[old lady name]

The thing is, guys, her paintings aren't half bad. I kinda want to call her.

1 comment:

JJS III said...

I kinda want to call her too. Mostly because I want to meet the youngest 90 year old person I'll ever know or meet.