Monday, May 18, 2009

Am I a Lovefool.... for Sweden?

Hello Readers,

I am blogging to you live from INSIDE CAUCASIA. The mood is tense--primarily because I can't really figure out how to type on this Swedish keyboard.

I am currently in Sankt Eriksplan, in Stockholm, but away from touristy stuff. I'm staying with a friend's cousin--and I think I have a mad girl-crush. I'm not sure if it was when we were looking for a pub and she referred to former party-hard self as a 'club fox,' or when she stole a poster advertising Britney Spears' upcoming Stockholm concert off of the subway wall, but all I know is, I'll never be the same again.

It was quite sunny and nice our first few days, but now Swedish weather has reared its ugly head--it's cold and rainy, and we decided instead of going to a pub or a club, it was better to rent a movie, drink Absolut pear flavored vodka with Fanta, and eat candy. You know, the logical alternative.

The movie was a Swedish film called 'Let the Right One In.' It involved tween human-vampire love and was surprisingly gory and random. It was also kind of tender, as it would be when 12-year-old Oskar asks his vampire lady friend if she "wants to go steady."
Nothing about this country is average! They are a cold people, still grappling with race issues, but also have a knack for design. I mean, it really is ingenius. I've stayed in a studio apartment with three other women and everyone's had a place to sleep! Talk about structure and space maximization!
I would expect no less from the people who brought us IKEA.

In fact, there heaps of things I can thank this cold nation for:
H&M
Ace of Base
The Cardigans (love me, love me, say that you love me!)
Beloved children's book character Pippi Longstocking
The Nobel Prize
Smorgasbords (heaps of all kinds of foods, meant to be eaten in order, from salty to sweet--brilliant!)
VIKINGS (I love to pillage and plunder)

However, I would have to ask someone about the whole 'active white supremacist population.' It makes me a bit scared to look some dudes in the eye.

5 comments:

JJS III said...

How could you forget Robyn? I loved that her lyric "You're the one that I ever needed" didn't made any sense.

I wish you luck on the rest of your adventures in Caucasia.

kriskross said...

Missy! Sweetheart.
We hope Berlin treats you well. Tonight there is no vampires around, instead we're visited by mutants.The blue lady just became human...too bad, she was my favourite.Sweden miss you.

/Kristin & John

ps. I'm still thinking of asking the girl with the green shirt "wants to go steady?". /John

ps2. wht happened with the tall dj? ds

Nathan said...

Girl, go to Jamaica or Amsterdam and stop waisting time with those dry ass honkeys!

Sojourner (You Can't Handle the) Truth said...

Nathan, if you had a free place to stay in either destination, I'd be in there like swimwear on a double dare! I was actually in St. Croix a few weeks ago, which sorta had the Jamaica vibe, so I'm on my way. In Berlin I was with the multi-culti crew, so don't fret!

Nathan said...

I know my previous comment sounded harsh and I rarely use the word honkey (it sounds stupid), but I just don't like them making you feel uncomfortable in Sweden. Of course not everyone is like that, but there are places where people embrace different cultures (it isn't just white or black either - there are so many others) and fun can be had by all. It seems you already know that from your comment (plus living in NYC and all) so I'm done. At least you are well traveled and can say you've been somewhere some people would never think of going. I like your chutzpa!