Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We DID!!!

There were news cameras everywhere. When CNN showed images of Sydney, Australia, it was where I was. I got a text message from my Aussie mum saying I was on Australian news tonight. I traded numbers with countless people, suddenly bound by this camaraderie--so many of us joked that if it didn't go well, we were staying in Australia. I even asked one rando Aussie if he'd marry me. He laughed, then said "I don't know your name."
"Don't get caught up in details; this is a marriage of convenience."

I didn't think I would be crying today, but I was. Repeatedly.
When the jumbo screen tuned to CNN said "President-Elect Barack Obama" I felt more than I thought I would.
I felt a pride unprecedented. I felt as though who I was is now somehow more right, more worthy, because of what happened today. When I saw the First Family walk out and greet their crowd, my tears started flowing again. I couldn't stop. That this is finally America, this is seen as worthy, intelligent, beautiful, strong, powerful, positive. It's, as Sam Cooke sang, been a long time coming.

And maybe I don't have the right to feel that. Of course, there are still many red states, and I am not Obama.
But today, in Sydney, Australia, at the Democrats Abroad election coverage, I was surrounded by Americans, Australians, even Brits and Danes--and there was a sense of, as Aussies would say, "Good on ya, America."


Check out this shirt, worn by an Aussie guy:

Western Australians for CHANGE.

Since I've been here, I've gotten into so many conversations about the election. As I discussed Obama with one Aussie, she said something that stuck with me: "Like it or not, America's a superpower. When America sneezes, the whole world catches a cold."
With that kind of thinking, we owed it to ourselves to at least try something different. And today, not only did that happen, but we undermined the very foundation on which this country was built.

I missed being at home today, but I also felt, for the first time, that I was not alone over here. I hugged Aboriginals, I cried with people I'd never met. One Aboriginal man said to me, "You know, when there are whites and blacks at a party in Australia, the room is divided. You are seeing right now, what change is."

It seems that this time, America is spreading something that people actually want to catch.

5 comments:

Nina said...

What a beautiful post, Naomi --
I'm still speechless, and I'm glad that everyone else can talk about it!
-Nina

Litsa said...

it was so amazing, I wish I had a tape recorder for you and just held it to the window so you could hear the noises outside in Harlem.. it was absolutely beautiful.

Bodine said...

Naomi, I wish you were here! I've been crying so much over the last two days, my whole face is still swollen. I didn't actually let myself believe McCain would gracefully step back and let democracy happen. It's overwhelming and awe-inspiring and just the best thing that could have happened.

Katey said...

New York has been a great place to be the last few days, but I'm glad you're able to share some of our American enthusiasm abroad.

In my neighborhood people were draping American flags over cars! American flags!!! When was the last time you saw that happen??

JJS III said...

I don't even want to ponder what America was spreading around under the Bush administration. Herpes?

The bar I was at released two bottles of Jack Daniels into the crowd after the announcement was made. One of them wound up on my table, and this resulted in me falling off a stool and other calamity.

If only the news on Proposition No. 8 had been as sweet...